Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Chapters 25 & 26 Looking For An Honest Man

YOU CAN PURCHASE THIXS B OOK


Share with your friends.


Chapter 25

Wally and Samantha had returned to his loft. After the surprise meeting with the police at O’Malley’s, Samantha had become very quiet. Wally couldn’t figure out if she were frightened or determined—but determined to do what? She hadn’t said anything, stared straight ahead and frowned from time to time as if in deep thought. Once they opened the door to his loft, Samantha rushed to his computer and spent the next thirty minutes staring at the screen.
“What are you doing?” Wally finally asked.
“Looking for missing women,” she said without looking up.
“Why are you searching for missing women?”
“I don’t know. Just a hunch, that’s all.”
“A hunch?”
She picked at her fingers as a silly smile spread across her face.
“I don’t know. My father used to tell me to follow your hunches. You don’t know why you get them, but the majority of the time you’re right.”
Wally sat down at the kitchen table and took a deep breath.
“And what does this all lead to, may I ask? What can you do about it?”
Samantha got up, walked over, and sat on Wally’s lap. She ran her fingers lightly over his baldhead and cupped his cheek with the other hand.
“I don’t know. But, whatever I do, I’m going to need help. Will you help me?”
Wally blushed when she leaned over and kissed him on top of the head. He was not used to this attention that Samantha was dishing out recently. He made every attempt to keep his feelings inside. He knew that Samantha could never like him. She always returned to the guys who physically and emotionally hurt her. She was in one of her needy phases right now. The minute he expressed any interest in her, she’d walk out of his life for a couple of months. Samantha reached down, placed his arms around her waist and rested her forehead against his head.
“You know I’ll help. I just don’t understand what you are doing.”
She kissed his forehead again.
“I don’t either.”
Samantha’s cell phone rang. She got up and retrieved it from her bag.
“Hello, mother. What can I do for you this morning—or should I say afternoon?”
“Samantha, I need to talk to you about Vickie Taylor and a woman named Patricia Wilson.”
“Oh, my God! I was going to call you about the same thing.”
***
They sat in Olivia’s kitchen. Wally nursed a beer and waited. Olivia poured a glass of wine and stared at her calm daughter neatly placing three stacks of papers on the table. Once completed, Samantha took a deep breath and with her hands flat on the table, cleared her throat.
“Who should go first?” she asked.
Olivia set her glass down.
“I’ll go since I think what you have to say is more involved.”
“Okay, let’s hear it,” Samantha responded.
Olivia relayed the conversation she’d had with Margaret earlier in the day at the Roasterie. Samantha listened attentively.
“So what do you think?” Samantha asked slapping the table.
“Well—for one thing, I got the impression from Margaret that Vickie Taylor and Patricia Wilson’s disappearance are connected. She didn’t actually say that, but that’s what came across. Margaret also seemed very interested in me, although she doesn’t know it.”
“What do you mean?” Wally asked.
Olivia saw Wally’s eyes fill with concern that the police might be interested in her.
“They are interested in me because I told them where to find the body. I hinted that many psychics help the police, but she insisted that I was too accurate. Others have called in saying that the police could find Vickie Taylor’s body in a wooded area. I pointed almost exactly where to find Vickie.”
“Can they trace your call?” Wally asked, shifting uncomfortably in his chair.
“I’ve read the web site, and the hotline has no caller id, so they have no idea who made the call, although I wondered if they could get a court order.”
“Mother, do you really believe that?”
Olivia thought for a second.
“I don’t know. That’s a scary thought if they can. Something tells me that Margaret is hoping that the person calls back in.”
“What makes you think that, Mother?”
Olivia held her hands up.
“Don’t ask me how I know. It’s just a hunch.”
Wally chortled and said, “This family has a lot of hunches. And by the way, if they did get a court order for your phone number the hotline would lose all credibility.”
Olivia stared at him, but Samantha tapped her hand to get her attention.
“My turn. Wally and I were paid a little visit by the police over lunch after talking to Brent Mitchell’s wife this morning,”
Startled, Olivia’s hand went to her cheek.
“You talked to Brent Mitchell’s wife? Who’s she? The police? What happened?”
Samantha explained about visiting Mrs. Mitchell at Starbucks, and a policewoman was monitoring the conversation, although she didn’t explain her interest in talking to Brent Mitchell’s wife.
“They followed you to O’Malley’s?”  Olivia asked.
“Yeah. After that, Samantha got something up her butt about this Brent Mitchell, Pam Wilson and Vickie Taylor being connected,” Wally said.
“I’m more convinced now that I’ve talked to my mother.”
“I agree, Samantha. I think they are all connected. I just can’t figure out what the connection might be.” Olivia stopped and frowned. “I don’t understand how you got involved with this Mrs. Mitchell and her husband. What is that all about?”
“I’ll tell you later, mother. It’s not important.”
Wally closed his eyes and shook his head.
“Where is this coming from? You guys are pulling straws out of your hat.”
Olivia placed her hands on top of Wally’s and squeezed.
“Listen, Wally. I know it is hard to believe, but my gut tells me we’re right.”

Chapter 26

“I’m sorry, Mrs. K, but the police don’t go by their gut. They go by facts, which are very few at this point.”
“Okay, let’s review the facts, Wally. We know how they are not connected, so how are they alike?”
“Both are women,” Samantha offered.
“That’s right. They are different ages, but both are women.”
“Margaret told you that she is working on the profile for both women,” Samantha said.
“That’s very important don’t you think?” Olivia asked.
Samantha agreed and Wally rolled his eyes in disbelief.
“Brent Mitchell is missing, and he was working for Pat Wilson,” Samantha said pointing her finger at Wally.
“I still don’t understand this Mitchell angle,” Olivia said.
“He was a private detective working for Patricia Wilson,” Samantha said.
Wally folded his arms across his chest.
“There is still nothing concrete that ties them together,” he said.
They were quiet for a minute, each mulling over their thoughts.
“Mrs. K, why would you even want to get involved with this? The police are on it. They have far more resources than the three of us.”
“But, I have Vickie, Wally. She came to me. The police don’t have Vickie.”
Wally waved his arms, but he couldn’t think of anything to say.
“That’s right, mother. Vickie came to you. Maybe she’ll come back again.”
“Maybe she will,” Olivia said mainly to herself.
“Why do the two of you want to do this? What is your goal? If two people are missing and one is dead, it could be dangerous.”
Olivia frowned and mulled over what Wally had said. It was a good point. Why did she want to get involved all of a sudden? Did Margaret scare her into thinking that the police were after her? What could she do to catch the person that killed Vickie Taylor, and possibly caused the disappearance of Patricia Wilson and this Brent Mitchell?  Maybe these two had run off together after they killed Vickie, but that didn’t make any sense. Olivia saw that Samantha was puzzling over the situation as hard as she was.
“Wally… I think Vickie came to me because she wanted my help. Now, why she came to me, I haven’t the slightest idea, but she did. I am a link. I don’t know why I’m that link, but I am. If she comes to me like the last time, I won’t have any choice in the matter. Something takes hold of me, and I am helpless. I think we need to gather more information about these three, and then we can see how they tie together. Right now, we have a connection between Patricia and this Brent—whoever he is, but nothing ties them to Vickie.”
Wally rubbed his face with his hands and quietly moaned.
“Mrs. K, I have never seen you like this before.” He laid one arm flat on the table and pointed at Samantha. “I can see Sam going on a wild goose chase, but not you. You are the one sensible person in this family.”
“That was before Vickie,” Olivia said quietly.
“All right, all right. Let’s get organized here before we go off the deep end and someone gets hurt.”
Samantha grabbed Wally’s finger in her hand and squeezed.
“You mean you’re going to help.”
Wally nodded his head in defeat.
“You can be a scatterbrain at times, and your mom seems to have lost her sense of direction right now, so yes, I am going to help.”
Samantha let out a squeal, and Olivia smiled. Somehow, this felt right.
“What do we need to do first, Wally?”
“Well, we really don’t know anything about Vickie Taylor. I think we need to get a complete picture in our heads. We probably can get the information from the newspaper. We’ve probably read or heard it on the news, but much of the information seemed inconsequential at the time.”
“Mother, get that iPad of yours and let’s start making notes.”
“I’ve already taken some,” Olivia said walking out of the kitchen.
Olivia went to retrieve her iPad while Wally took out his Samsung Note lland got online. Samantha did the same with her iPhone. When Olivia returned, she was met with a barrage of information.
“Vickie Taylor was twenty-nine years old. She graduated from Shawnee Mission North High School and attended Johnson County Community College,” Wally said.
“She got her bachelor’s degree and MBA from Baker University,” Samantha added.
“Wait a second,” Olivia admonished. “Let me turn my iPad on.”
“Her degree was in finance,” Wally said. “She worked at A. G. Edwards for three years and recently went to work for Hogue Investments.”
“What is Hogue Investments?” Samantha asked.
“I don’t know. I’ll look it up,” Wally replied.
They continued this drill for the next hour until finally they had culled most of the information from the paper and Internet. Olivia leaned back in her chair, appraised what they had discovered about Vickie Taylor and wondered if someone could do the same about her. Scary, she thought. Olivia reorganized some of the notes and appraised the two pages that contained a timeline of Vickie’s life, her marriage and her work.
“Do you want me to print this off?” she asked.
“Two copies,” Wally said.
While Olivia went to retrieve the copies from the printer, Samantha leaned across the table and pinched Wally’s cheek.
“I’m glad you’re in,” she said quietly.
“Yeah,” he grunted.
Olivia brought the papers back and gave each a copy. They silently read over the notes.
 “A lot of information here, but nothing that jumps out at you,” Samantha said.
“I agree. What do you think Wally?” Olivia asked.
Wally pursed his lips and threw the papers down on the table.
“It tells me we need more information.”
“Like what?” Samantha asked.
“For one thing, we need to find out more about her married life. Was she really happy? We need to find out more about Hogue Investments. The newspaper or television stations couldn’t reach the company to have them give a statement. She had worked there for a little over two months. Maybe one of her clients blamed her for a deal that went badly.”
“How are we going to do that?” Olivia asked.
“Let’s start with Facebook. Let’s see whether she is on Facebook and check out her friends. With luck, we may find someone that we know.”
Samantha’s phone chimed. She checked her messages and then gave Wally a weak smile.
“I have to go. I have an appointment.”
“Are you going to check Facebook, Wally?” Olivia asked.
“Yeah, I can do that after I get Sam back.”
“What can I do?” Olivia asked.
Wally pushed his chair back and stood up until he towered over Olivia.

“See whether Vickie wants to talk some more.”

No comments:

Post a Comment