Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Looking For An Honest Man Chapters 19 & 20

THIS BOOK IS FREE TO READ ON THE KINDLE APP
IF YOU HAVE AMAZON PRIME.

Share with your friends.

Chapter 19

“Mrs. Mitchell, my name is Samantha Kimsey.”
Mrs. Mitchell cleared her throat, glanced down at the table before meeting Samantha’s eyes.
“I’m still not sure why I’m here. The police told me to call them if someone contacted me about Brent.”
Samantha watched the small creamy smiley face instantly dissolve as she stirred her coffee.
“Did you call them?” Samantha asked.
“Should I have?” Mrs. Mitchell asked.
Samantha thought for a second.
“It doesn’t matter. You can if you want. I don’t know anything.”
Mrs. Mitchell’s pale face hardened as her hand slapped the table making the teapot rattle.
“Then why am I here?”
Samantha’s head flew back, and her eyes widened.
“I—I—told you over the phone. I believe I was the last person to see your husband.”
Mrs. Mitchell slapped the table again. The light blue eyes seemed to come alive.
“Where was that?”                         
Samantha pushed her chair back.
“The Top Hat. Harold’s Top Hat. Look, I’m sorry if I’ve upset you. Just forget it. It was a stupid idea.”
Samantha rose to leave, when Mrs. Mitchell reached across the table, grabbed Samantha by the wrist and motioned for her to sit back down.
“Please, sit down. I didn’t mean to scare you, but I’ve had my share of crackpots trying to help me. Psychics from all over the United States have come out of the woodwork to help. They are either seeking free advertising or money.”
Samantha stood silently with her hands cupped like a praying mantis in front of her.
“Please, sit down.” Mrs. Mitchell pleaded pulling on Samantha’s arm.
Samantha slowly edged back into the chair, but didn’t pull it up to the table.
“I’m sorry if I upset you,” she said.
Mrs. Mitchell motioned to Samantha’s coffee.
“Please, enjoy your coffee.”
Mrs. Mitchell gave Samantha a weak smile as she picked up her tea. Samantha returned the smile and pulled her chair up to the table. Glancing to her right, the woman across the room must have watched the whole incident. She quickly adjusted her glasses and returned to her book when Samantha looked at her. Samantha glimpsed Wally out the window clutching the steering wheel, and his head moving to the beat of the music on the radio. Suddenly, Samantha wished that she’d brought Wally in with her. He was better at talking with people. He certainly had a knack of calming Samantha when she became upset.
“I don’t know anything but,” she started, “I thought if I talked about it with you, something may come back to me that might help.”
“How did you meet my husband?” Mrs. Mitchell asked.
Samantha sighed, her mind going back to that fateful night.
“I sell real estate, specifically lofts in the downtown area. I’d just closed a big deal, and I wanted a drink to celebrate. My friend was out of town, so I went by myself to the Top Hat. It’s close to where I live.”
“Brent had to go there from time to time on his last case, but he hated the place. He called it a meat market.”
Samantha laughed.
“He’s not the first. My friend calls it the same thing. Why did he have to go to Harold’s Top Hat?”
“He’s been working on a case for the past three months before he disappeared. That is where they agreed to meet since it’s usually crowded at night.”
“What kind of case was it?”
Mrs. Mitchell’s fingers toyed with the now empty cup.
“I don’t know. Brent usually worked divorce cases, paternity suits and the like. This one was different. He’d never talk about his cases because of confidentiality, but this time he told me he might be in over his head.”
“What did your husband mean by that?”
Mrs. Mitchell shrugged.
“I don’t know, but it had to be more than the normal divorce case.”
“Do you know who the client was? Did he talk about them?”
“He did tell me that much. It was that woman who disappeared, Pat Wilson.”
“Did he say anything else?”
“No. Just that Pat Wilson was his client and he may be in over his head.”
“You don’t know what your husband meant by that?” Samantha asked again.
Mrs. Mitchell reached up and wiped a tear from her eye.
“I told you. I really don’t know. I questioned him, but he’d become evasive.”
“Do you know how Pat Wilson got your husband’s name?”
“No, but I’m sure he was recommended by a former client.”
They were quiet for a minute, each collecting their thoughts. Finally, Mrs. Mitchell broke the silence.
“You said Brent talked to you.”
Samantha nodded.
“Yes. He sat down beside me at the bar. At first, I thought he was alone, but he immediately turned to the woman beside him and they began talking.”
“Do you remember what she looked like? That must have been Pat Wilson.”
 “I just didn’t pay that much attention. Your husband turned to talk to her, so she was hidden by his body.” Samantha squinted her eyes and thought for a second. “I do remember that she was sitting at the bar when I arrived, but her back was to me. She turned around when your husband sat down.”
“Did they talk long?”
Samantha hesitated before answering.
“Not real long. I couldn’t hear what they were saying. She seemed excited about something because she said something like ‘Oh, good.’ Your husband didn’t say anything. He took her by the arm, and they went outside. When he came back a few minutes later, he was alone.”
Mrs. Mitchell looked away, brushing tears from her eyes.
“I should have stopped him. He knew it, I knew it, but the money was just too good to give up. Now look at what he gave up. It wasn’t worth it.”

Chapter 20

Samantha touched the woman’s shoulder, and then pulled back. She really didn’t know what she should do at a time like this. She thought back to that night in the bar. After Brent Mitchell returned from the outside, he sat down at the bar to order a drink. He turned around to face the back of the bar. Jerking his head back, he downed the drink and stared into space, as if deep in thought. Brent Mitchell was okay looking although slightly overweight. He combed his long blonde hair straight back on his head, and Samantha vaguely remembered that he had a noticeable scar on his cheek. He ordered another drink and realized that Samantha had been staring at him.
“Buy you a drink?” he asked, pointing a finger up to signal the bartender not to leave.
“Sure, why not,” Samantha replied.
“You look lonely,” he said.
Oh, no, Samantha thought. Here comes the pickup line.
“I wanted to celebrate a big sale tonight, but my friend is out of town.”
“Boyfriend?”
Samantha cocked her head and stared at him.
“Yeah, why do you ask?”
He shrugged.
“Just wondered.”
“Okay.”
“Johnny, bring the little lady a drink. Give her whatever she wants. Give it my special touch.”
“What is your special touch?” she asked.
“More liquor less filling,” he laughed.
The drinks arrived, and Brent Mitchell raised his up in salute,
“Here’s to you, young lady. May your good looks bring you good fortune and you never have to turn to an online dating site.”
“Hear, hear,” Samantha replied.
Mrs. Mitchell sniffling brought Samantha back to the present.
“I’m sorry. It hurts so bad not knowing what happened to him.”
“I understand. I want to tell you what I remember from that night, and then I want to ask you just one question,” Samantha said, lacing her fingers with Mrs. Mitchell.
Samantha relayed the short conversation she had with her husband. Mrs. Mitchell appeared thankful to have any news about his last known moments.
“Did he say anything else?” she asked.
“No, I’m sorry he didn’t. He gulped his drink down, glanced at his watch, and walked away without a goodbye.”
Mrs. Mitchell cradled her face with her hands and laughed through the tears.
“I don’t know why, but this does make me feel better.”
“Good, now my question.”
Mrs. Mitchell shook her head.
“What exactly was your husband working on?”
Mrs. Mitchell dropped her hands to the table and stared at Samantha.
“I think it had to do with some kind of online dating site.” She shook her head and dropped her eyes to her lap. “I just can’t remember.”
Samantha gave Mrs. Mitchell her card and thanked her for meeting with her. She waved and walked out the door to find Wally with his chin buried in his chest and fast asleep. The door made a squeaking noise, and Wally immediately awoke.
“You have a nice nap, Teddy Bear?” she asked, pinching his cheek.
Wally pushed her hand aside and grunted. He wasn’t in any mood to be played with after being awakened by a pinch on the cheek.
“Stop it,” he growled.
Samantha gently rubbed his cheek and kissed it.
“I’m sorry.”
Wally straightened his body and reached for the key to start the motor.
“She kept the appointment.”
It felt like Wally had hit her between the eyes. Why hadn’t she seen it before? It was so obvious. She reached over and slapped Wally’s arm with the back of her hand.
“He left because he had an appointment.”
“What?” Wally fussed. “What are you talking about?”
“Brent Mitchell left me without saying goodbye because he had an appointment. Oh, Wally, you are wonderful.”
She again reached over to kiss him.
“Did he have an appointment that late at night?” Wally asked backing out of the parking place. “Maybe another client?”
Samantha slipped on the seat belt.
“That’s what we need to find out.”
Samantha settled back in her seat as Wally pulled onto Mission Road. She closed her eyes to reflect on what had taken place. The conversation had done little to help Mrs. Mitchell, but it had brought back forgotten memories to Samantha. She slowly went over the short conversation with Brent Mitchell and remembered that he’d called the bartender Johnny. She couldn’t remember what the bartender looked like, and she wondered if it were the same Johnny from last night.

 After Wally and Samantha had left, the older lady in Starbucks walked over to talk to Mrs. Mitchell. Mrs. Mitchell nodded her head and pulled out the small microphone planted in her hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment