Thursday, March 8, 2012

Why Do I Write?

I write because I want to entertain people. I will never write a classic. All I want is someone to say they enjoyed what i've written. Here is an example I received from a friend:

My mom & I are both enjoying The Possessor, David.  You are truly gifted - wonderful style.  It's rather a miracle that mom has been able to concentrate on the story as she has had difficulty with reading.  I credit your unique story-telling talent.
Looking forward to Tanglewood.
Thanks... and thanks again.
Mary Kay

When people find out I've written a novel, many tell me they have a great idea for a novel, or it is half-finished. The first question that comes to my mind is why are you writing? Some people say they have to write, and that I can understand. I have to write, but what is your overall goal to write a novel or short story? Mine is simple. I want to entertain. I think you write that novel or finish the one you have started if you figure out why you want or need to write it.

No comments:

Post a Comment