Friday, November 25, 2011

The Fifth Rewrite

I am one of those strange people that love to rewrite my manuscripts.  I usually have a rough idea of what I want to write about but it is only after the characters develop that the story begins to grow. I am on the fifth rewrite of The Possessor before I send it to my proofreader. I want The Possessor published by the first of the year so I'm really under a time restraint right now. I also have to send it to my readers who will critique it for me.  Readers are wonderful. They point out things that even the proofreader doesn't point out. I remember one time a friend read my book Tanglewood Road and she told me that in one particular part she couldn't see or feel what was happening. I changed my manuscript and have kept her advice in the back of my mind when I write.   I could continually find fault with my manuscripts and keep rewriting forever. I limit myself to six rewrites.  The last rewrite is after it has been proofread and my readers have given me their comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment